Thursday, August 27, 2009

Time flies

Where have the past 4 months gone? Tomorrow night, 4 months ago, I remember being in a whirl. I was being wheeled into the labor & delivery OR and prepped to bring little Sophia into the world. I remember shivering so much. The CRNA put a blower of warm air aimed at my chest, but it didn't seem to do anything to stop my shivering. I remember thinking that I needed to be still because they were cutting me open and I didn't want them to miss! I tried deep breathing. I tried distracting my thoughts. All to no avail. I remember hearing her first cry. "10:10 pm" Dr. Utterback announced. How beautiful. To know that she was breathing and not too happy about the cold air and bright lights...what a change that must have been from the dark, warm womb to which she had grown accustomed. I felt such a relief to hear her. And seeing her, it seemed like just a second that I was able to look at her. And I was still shivering so much, I don't know if I was concentrating enough on her. And then, she was whisked off to the nursery, and John with her. There I was, having experienced the most incredible moment in my life and I was left all alone. The CRNA was so nice and supportive. He continued to talk to me and make sure I was ok. But it wasn't the same. I could hear the doctors talking, about what I don't remember. But I remember thinking - why are you talking about anything except sewing me up? And I was so jealous of John, and my parents, who got to see my little miracle. I was rolled into recovery. I had to wait there for what seemed like an hour. I was thirsty. They gave me ice. Not really a thirst-quencher. Where's the Gatorade? I must have gone through 4 cups of ice. Where's my little girl? How long til I can see her? At midnight, they rolled me into my postpartum room and I finally got to see my little girl again - nearly 2 hours after I first heard her cry. And she was beautiful. And all was right with the world.

It all seems like last week, not 4 months ago. And thank you for indulging my reminiscing.

No comments:

Post a Comment